Evaluation of ColdZyme® Mouth Spray on prevention of upper respiratory tract infections in a patient with primary immunodeficiency
Case report for one patient with primary immunodeficiency
1-2 times/day during 15 months
Compare infection symptoms to historically collected data for a 21 months period prior to the ColdZyme treatment.
- Primary immunodeficiency diseases are diseases in which the immune system has a defect that render patients more susceptible to infections. If left untreated, these infections may be fatal.
- Patients with common variable immunodeficiency (CVID), which is a common type of primary immunodeficiency (PID), are prone to upper and lower respiratory tract infections.
- Primary immunodeficiency is not rare. The U.S. National Institutes of Health report that as much as 1-2 percent of the U.S. population is affected. That's 3-6 million Americans, and about 98-99 percent do not even know that they have it. The condition is more prevalent than childhood Leukemia and Lymphoma combined and four times the incidence of Cystic Fibrosis (Jeffrey Modell Foundation).
- We observed that when ColdZyme® was used to reduce common cold viral infection in a CVID patient on IgG replacement therapy, also infections in oral cavity and oropharynx were reduced
- The number of sick-days per year were reduced from 72 to 17 days (a 76% decrease)